Sunday, November 13, 2011

UNbeknOwnst


I knew it.  That something had been changed. Irreversibly.  Beholding each other, I had the urge to look away. To break the wave of tenderness.  Emanating from within each of us.  Coursing through the space between us.  Gently enveloping the other.  We smiled.  Smiles seemingly devoid of meaning.  But bursting from innocent wonder.  Could it be?  Asked to shake hands, we reluctantly, shyly obliged.  Another pair of smiles.  The nervous kind.  Perhaps from the electricity of the momentary contact.  Then we both turned.  Went our separate ways.  It felt like the end of the world for me.  But my heart assured me it was just the beginning.  But the anxiety lingered on.  When might I see you again?  It would be different, I know.  Just how so, I could not possibly tell.  Then came the day for us to meet again.  It could not have been predicted.  We were both alone.  But aware of each other’s presence.  We sent out random smiles.  Still the nervous kind.  Half-heartedly, I went on with my lunch.  With you sitting right across me.  If only I could capture that very moment.  And make it last for as long as I could.  I knew it.  That something had been changed.  Irreversibly. From the way you smiled.  Not at me.  But through me.  You have become aware.  Of my existence.  Of the way I feel for you.  And it gave you all the power.  To trample on my heart.  Simply by ignoring me.  I held a glimmer of hope, you know.  But just like that, you took it away.  I knew it.  That you would break my heart.  Even without asking me for it.


Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment